The selective outrage of Lebanese


How easy it is to be outraged by a stupid comment made by a silly celebrity named Ahlam or by a not-so-clever cartoon published by some Saudi newspaper calling Lebanon a lie.

But what about the 8 years old Lebanese girl that was killed by a stray bullet only a few days ago, because some moron thought it would be a good idea the fire some shots in the air? Anyone? No? Really?



What about the Ethiopian domestic worker that was found dead in south Lebanon, after allegedly committing suicide by stabbing herself in the throat? Not to mention the other Ethiopian domestic worker that threw herself off a balcony in north Lebanon, just a few weeks ago. Still nothing?


Ok… Then what about the recently busted Beirut sex slave ring that used and abused underage Syrian girls? Also nothing?



What? These stories don’t inspire patriotic poems vehemently posted on social media? They don’t drive the urge to shout out “I’m proud to be Lebanese” or to sing “koullouna lil watan” in a sunny private garden, before rushing to some chic lunch somewhere?

I’m very sorry but I can’t continue writing any further. I urgently need to find a pharmacy open on Sunday so I can get something, anything, to fight off the overwhelming nausea many of my fellow Lebanese inspire me.


© Claude El Khal, 2016